PROCEDURES & RULES FOR USING THE INTERNET
1. All users of the Internet or any computer other than the online catalog computer must have signed the Internet/computer registration and user agreement. This card will remain on file in the library so that it will always be available for use.
2. All users must sign in and present valid identification before accessing the Internet. Library patrons with fines over $5.00 will not be allowed to access the internet.
3. A parent or guardian MUST remain with children 12 or under as they use the Internet. Internet cards will not be issued to children under the age of 13. Children between the ages of 13 and 17 will be issued Internet cards, but their parents must come to the library and must sign a consent form. Parents/guardians of any children under the age of 18 are responsible for any damages or changes incurred by their children during their use of the Internet.
4. To use an Internet workstation, patrons need to sign up for one 30-minute time period. If no one is waiting at the end of that time period, the patron may sign up for an additional 30-minute time period. However, if another patron is waiting, the user should be prepared to sign off within the next 15 minutes.
5. Sign-ups may be done in person or over the telephone. If an user is more than 10 minutes late, the time will be forfeited.
6. Users MAY NOT use personal software in library equipment or download any information other than public domain from the Internet. Disks may be purchased from the Library.
7. Copies can be made only of public domain information. U.S. copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code) prohibits the unauthorized reproduction or distribution of copyrighted materials, except as permitted by the principles of “fair use.” Users may not copy or distribute electronic materials (including electronic mail, text, images, programs, or data) without the explicit permission of the copyright holder. Any responsibility for any consequences of copyright infringement lies with the user; the Harbor Beach Area District Library expressly disclaims any liability or responsibility resulting from such use.
8. Misuse of the computers or violations of policies/procedures regarding Internet/computer use will result in the loss of computer privileges.
9. Users will be required to make full financial restitution for any damages or unauthorized expenses that the library incurs from violations of this agreement.
ADOPTED BY THE HARBOR BEACH AREA DISTRICT LIBRARY BOARD OF TRUSTEES ON MARCH 10, 1999. THIS POLICY IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES. FOR MORE SPECIFIC RULES AND CONSEQUENCES, SEE “RULES FOR COMPUTER/INTERNET CARD,” ALSO ADOPTED ON MARCH 10, 1999, UPDATED ON NOVEMBER 15, 2000 and June 8, 2005.